Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Is camping the Auction House in WOW worth it?

This is going to be a short post about supply and demand. Is camping a market viable? And how much AH camping is too much camping?

Let’s assume the demand for glyphs is infinite: that is no matter how many glyphs you will post per day, they will all sell. Here camping has an obvious advantage. Being always the lowest will guarantee that you constantly sell.
Obviously this is not the case. You can only sell a certain amount of glyphs a day. Sure, always being the lowest will guarantee that you’re the one selling them. But since the amount of glyphs you can sell is limited, there’s a point where you spent more time canceling/reposting than you should have and your gold per hour decreases. This becomes more true the more competition you have. If you go past peak gold/hour you just become a griefer. You’re denying other people sales, but you’re not earning more gold than them.

Now you’re going to argue with me and say something like “But I don’t actually spend 17 hours a day on wow. I do it while I do other work”. And you would have a point, except for the fact that camping requires you to be online doing one thing - selling glyphs. While you spend that time camping a limited amount of glyph sales, I also sell bags and enchanting scrolls. At the end we probably spend the same amount of time doing stuff, but one of us makes more gold/hour. The real answer to maximizing your profit is not “CAMP MOAR” but ‘diversify’.

Ultimately it doesn’t matter if I sell 3 glyphs a day or 3 thousand. I’ll eventually sell everything and I already make more money than I can possibly spend in the game.

1 comment:

  1. Agreed, My bank toons are in several different markets. I honestly don't have the time to camp the AH. I put my auctions up, usually come back towards the end to see whether they have sold. Sometimes I don't check them until well after the auction has ended. If I do check before the auction ends, If someone has undercut me, I'll sell more at a lower price and walk away to do other things.

    However camping the AH, I honestly don't have that type of time and it would be very boring to me.

    ReplyDelete